CALLS AND EVENTS
CAPTURE THE HEART IN HEALTH RESEARCH: A PHOTOJOURNALISM CONTEST 2023
The DOST-PCHRD organized the Capture the Heart in Health Research: A Photojournalism Contest 2023″ to highlight the role and contributions of health research and technology in making lives better for the Filipino people through photos.
The entries for the photo contest will be published on the Council’s official social media pages: Facebook and Twitter, as a way to increase awareness among the general public on health research initiatives.
The winning entries from this competition will be featured in a special newsletter, which will be disseminated among the Council’s stakeholders.
At the end of the event, individuals will be awarded and given a prize amounting to P10,000, P6,000, and P3,000. Special awards with a cash prize of 1,000 pesos will also be awarded as follows: People’s Choice and PCHRD Executive Director’s Choice.
The contest is open to all project leaders and members whose research is supported by the DOST-PCHRD from 2017 to 2023. Joining the contest is free of charge. Employees of PCHRD and members of their immediate family are not eligible to participate.
THEME: “HeaRT (Health Research and Technology) for the Filipino”
Entries for the photo contest should carry the theme: “HeaRT for the Filipino.” Specifically, they should highlight how initiatives on health research can make a difference towards the lives of the Filipino people.
Researchers may participate in any of the two categories:
- For Ongoing Projects. The photo may focus on the research team in action, an event led under the project, or related research activities. The entry should come with a one to three sentence description that highlights how the photo portrays a heart for the Filipino people.
- For Completed Projects. The photo should highlight the outcome of the project conducted by the research team from 2017 – 2022. This should highlight research utilization, in any way applicable. The entry should come with a one to three sentence description that highlights how the photo portrays a heart for the Filipino people.
- All entries should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org from February 28 – March 10, 2023. Each project is allowed to submit one (1) entry only. Participants should indicate the category and the project title in the subject line (Ongoing Project_Project Title).
- Upon submission of entries, the contestants certify the following:
- They own the photographs submitted and they grant DOST-PCHRD full permission to use it in knowledge packaging, sharing, and advocacy related to DOST-PCHRD mandate. DOST-PCHRD shall ensure that the photographer will be properly acknowledged for photos used, such as in print and digital publications.
- The photographs are original, have not won any previous photo contests, have not been published elsewhere (whether print or electronic), and have not been submitted as entries to any other photo contests.
- The photos have not been digitally altered and/or enhanced in any way other than simple cropping and minor adjustments on brightness, contrast, and saturation.
- The entry to be submitted should be digital, colored, in JPEG format and at least 3,000 pixels wide for a horizontal image, or 3,000 pixels tall for a vertical image at 300 dpi.
- The submitted entry should include the following details in English:
- Full name of the photographer:
- Current affiliated Institution and designation:
- Project Title (from which PCHRD-supported project the photo was taken):
- Project Duration:
- Project Leader:
- Photo title:
- Photo caption for soc med (1-3 sentences only):
- Date when the photo was taken:
- Place where the photo was taken:
- Note: If the project member will submit the entry, the project leader should issue a certification that he or she is a team member of the project.
- Awarding ceremonies will be held on 17 March 2023 during the 41st Anniversary celebration of DOST-PCHRD. Winners will be notified via e-mail.
- Deadline of Submission: 10 March 2023, 5 P.M. The submission will automatically close and reject any entries that will be submitted after the deadline.
- Only the top 20 entries will be posted at the DOST-PCHRD Facebook Page for viewing and voting for the People’s Choice Award starting 13 March until 16 March 2023 at 5 p.m.
- Announcement of Winners : 17 March 2023
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
Relevance to the Theme – 40%
Impact (Communication potential of the photo) – 40%
Creativity of caption – 10%
Photo quality (sharpness color, contrast, pixels) – 10%
TOTAL ————————————————– 100%
FOR QUESTIONS AND INQUIRIES:
Ms. Allyn Villahermosa at email@example.com