NEWS AND UPDATES
Call for Nominations: Best Mentor in Health Research Award
The Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) recognizes the vital role of the research mentor who selflessly shares knowledge and skills, instills values and attitudes, and inspires those involved in the research process, thereby creating an enabling environment and contributing to capacity-building in research.
The Best Mentor Award is offered biennially to recognize and reward mentors in health research who have built the capacities of researchers in the health sector and, in the process, propelled significant advances in the Philippine National Health Research System’s (PNHRS) thrusts as identified in the National Unified Health Research Agenda (NUHRA).
The Best Mentor Award recognizes excellence in mentorship that instills passion among researchers, redounding to enhanced relevance and productivity in health research.
A. Who can nominate
The nominating party may be any of the following:
•head of the nominee’s institution or immediate supervisor
Self-nomination is not allowed.
B. Who can be nominated
1. must be a Filipino citizen
2. at least a holder of master’s degree degree
3. actively involved in mentoring researchers/students or colleagues for at least 5 years
4. has a good track record as a researcher in terms of publication, product development or policy formulation
5.professionally involved in health research activities either as a research program/project leader, principal and co-principal investigator, mentor/adviser/trainer, or author/co-author
6. actively involved in health research activities such as conduct of research training and extension work, paper presentations, fund generation, research promotion and networking, research agenda setting, and capacity-building activities
Winners are ineligible for subsequent nominations.
How to nominate
Submit the recommendation form (either personally delivered, by courier, or thru email) for initial screening to the regional consortium secretariat. (Please refer to the attached paper for the list of addresses)
For completed DOST-PCHRD and ASTHRDP scholars, submit entries to DOST-PCHRD for screening and endorsement of the PCHRD Scholar’s Society (PSS).
For the qualified nominees
The requirements below should be submitted within the deadline
1. Five (5) hard copies of the following documents:
1.1. Accomplished curriculum vitae of the nominee using the prescribed format for Best Mentor Award
1.2. A narrative description (1,000-1,500 words) of the nominee’s mentoring activities, accompanied by supporting documents, e.g. photos and other relevant documentation.
1.3. Description of other achievements attained related to health research for the last 5 years, including supporting documents e.g. photocopy of certificates of recognition/awards/honors received by the nominee, which are relevant to the nominee’s eligibility criteria in Section IV.B
2. Cite names of 5 mentees, their achievements in research, and a narrative description of the nominee’s contribution to the success of each mentored research.
Schedule of Selection and Awarding
The award is given every two years.
Announcement of Winners and Prizes
• All qualified nominees will receive certificates of recognition.
• Each Cluster Winner from Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and National Capital Region will receive a cash prize of P100,000.00 and a plaque of recognition.
• The National Winner will receive an additional cash prize of P200,000.00 and trophy during the PNHRS Week Celebration.
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION
Consortium: March 24, 2017
DOST-PCHRD: March 31, 2017
To download the complete guidelines and the Recommendation Form, click HERE.