The United States Government through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), in partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) are collaborating to strengthen ASEAN science and technology capacity and gender equality and improvement through the annual ASEAN-U.S. Science Prize for Women.
The theme for the 2020 competition is “Preventive Healthcare,” which consists of measures taken for disease prevention, underscores the importance of elevating the well-being of ASEAN citizens. It will provide ASEAN-based, early- to mid-career female scientists with recognition awards from ASEAN and the US Government for their academic and professional achievements. This seeks to award two talented, early career women from the ASEAN region working in applied science. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Female professional working in applied science
- Citizen and resident of an ASEAN Member State
- ASEAN Member States include: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
- Holder of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree (i.e., a PhD level but with a different degree label). Applicant who is a candidate for or in process of pursuing a PhD or doctoral degree are not eligible.
- Maximum of 45 years of age or born on or after 1 February 1975.
- Completed application form (available at scienceprize4women.asean.org)
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter of recommendation submitted by an academic or professional contact
- A letter of support submitted by a mentee or other women who have been impacted by the applicant
The selection committee will award a $20,000 prize to the woman scientist who demonstrates the best application of original scientific research to this year’s theme of Preventive Healthcare. A second prize of $5,000 will be given to the scientist whose application merits an honorable mention. The winners will be recognized at the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Science, Technology and Innovation (AMMSTI) in Bangkok in October 2020.
You may nominate and/or send your applications at: http://scienceprize4women.asean.org/index.php/2019/11/21/asean-u-s-science-prize-for-women-2020-3/slider/
Deadline of submissions: 11:59 PM GMT +7 31 January 2020
- Written by Alyana Kaye Bacarra
- Created: 17 January 2020