With the continued commitment of the Department of Health (DOH) in training the next generation of health sector leaders, researchers, policy analysis and program managers, the DOH partnered with Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD) to implement the DOH Research Fellowship Program. Aligned with the Advancing Health through Evidence Assisted Decisions (AHEAD) strategy to (1) to increase individual, institutional and sectoral research capacity and (2) to position the Philippines as a global knowledge contributor, the Program aims to establish a cadre of young professionals with the appropriate knowledge, skills and attitude to appraise and conduct high quality health policy and systems research that are of policy significance.
With the passing of the Universal Health Care Act, there is a need to further develop a cadre of policy system researchers, technical experts and managers in order to strengthen internal analytic capacity in the DOH and to build health policy and systems research capacity within the sector. In line with this, the DOH Fellowship Program will be expanded in order to capacitate young professionals deployed to the regional Centers for Health Development (CHDs) all over the country.
The DOH Regional Research Fellowship Program is a 1-year term fellowship program intended for early career professionals who are considering a career in research. The Regional Research Fellows will be fully immersed in technical work at DOH regional CHDs and, in turn, will be capacitated in health policy, research and health systems management.
To produce a cadre of young professionals in the field of health systems research, policy, data analysis and health systems management at the DOH CHD level
Scope of Work:
- Identify research gaps in health policy and systems
- Develop and design a health policy and systems research addressing identified research gaps/ health policy and systems issues
- Collect and analyze data using a range of quantitative and qualitative techniques
- Systematically search, appraise and synthesize research evidence
- Communicate evidence to influence policy-making and legislation through the development of policy briefs, policy notes and other knowledge products as appropriate
- Apply research evidence in day-to-day practice to improve health policy and systems
- Participate in research capacity building activities
- Comply with DOH standards and protocols
*meant to be completed individually by the fellow, unless otherwise indicated
- One (1) individual research paper (can be done collaboratively with CHD staff, but fellow must be the principal investigator, and author)
- At least one (1) research brief
- At least five (5) technical reports/documents (such as, but not limited to position papers, policy notes, technical presentations, meeting reports, aide memoires, terms of reference and the like)
- Timely submission of monthly accomplishment report approved by the DOH management
- Other policy and research related technical tasks as may be required
- At least 20 years old
- Residing in regions I (Ilocos), III (Central Luzon), VI (Western Visayas), VII (Central Visayas), X (Northern Mindanao), CAR (Cordillera)
- Graduate of bachelor’s degree in any health-related courses*
*Fresh graduates are welcome to apply.
- Fluent in English and Filipino
- Knowledge/fluency of different dialects in the region is an advantage
- Has knowledge in research and analytical writing
- Possesses skills in planning, organizing and managing research
- Has proficient computer skills, particularly for data management, technical report-writing and presentation preparation
One year, non-renewable
Centers for Health Development (CHDs) Units/Divisions in regions I, III, VI, VII, X, and CAR
PhP 30,000.00/ month
Expression of Interest:
- Cover letter addressed to:
JAIME C. MONTOYA, MD, MSc, PhD, CESO III
Philippine Council for Health Research and Development
Department of Science and Technology
- Curriculum Vitae
- Sample research paper/technical report
Deadline of submission is on or before November 22, 2019.
Regions VI and VII extended until January 23, 2020 at 4PM.
For queries, contact Ms. Juanita R. Valeza at 8-651-7800 local 1326/1328 or Ms. Ian Hannah C. Gozun at (02) 8-837-7537 local 405.,
- Written by Alyana Kaye Bacarra
- Created: 22 January 2020